Friday, April 27, 2012

Felt Applique

Long before I got into Blything, I got into felt applique collage when I was working at a preschool.  We did a lot of felt craft with the kids and while I was hanging out with them at project time, I started stitching together layers of felt to make patches... hearts, flowers, birds etc... (I sewed two raven appliques to the front of a hoodie before Portlandia came out & had the "put a bird on it & call it art" slogan.  Now my fiance calls that my "Portlandia sweatshirt".)

From there, I got into bigger & more complicated applique designs.  When I started crafting for my dolls, I was curious if I could translate the felt applique into a diminutive size the way I was able to with sewing and knitting.  Here is my first try.  The pattern is the sheath dress from Pucci Collective's pattern page. It was based on a large lotus that I made a couple years ago. Note: when you are sewing with felt, you don't need a seam allowance on the neck, arms, and back edges, but you do at the side seams.

This pattern lends itself really well to applique because it is flat and a larger individual piece than many Blythe patterns, so it gives you a bigger canvas.  This was a quick experiment... I blanket stitched the neck, arms, and back & stitched pom-pom trim to the hem.  Very springy!

This was really just a quick practice for my real creative idea with the felt... here you can see it, as the girls check out some new sundries I bought on Blythe Kingdom.
I'm going to make a matching one for Charlotte... but then I got a big pack of "mini-skeins" that I ordered from etsy & got side-tracked with knitting...

A few catch-up pictures... on the Vernal Equinox, which was purportedly the first day of spring, we had a big storm and the girls saw their first snow ever!
 
Wondie wasn't so sure about snow, but Charlotte thought it was pretty cool.  She is way more outdoorsy than Wondie.






Also, the girls got a vintage hutch that they can keep their shoes & other treasure in... here is a picture right after they got it... they are starting to get settled in on their bookshelf home...


in a while, crocodile...

I have been away for a long time from blogging, but I've been Blything a steady rate in the interim.

I should probably clear out old business first and give the update on Charlotte's hair makeover.  Here we go!

In addition to a fairly pronounced 'scalp gap' (which seems to be negligible to a lot of Blythers, but is something that really disturbs my aesthetic OCD sensibilities), my Charlotte also had a very thin head of hair.  This made it harder to hide the gap.  I decided to use a lock and loop method of adding highlights to remedy this.  I used this video as a tutorial to help me get the hang of it.

Charlotte waited patiently for me to work on the project. I didn't want her to get cold and I hadn't gotten around to knitting any hats for her yet (that is for another blog!) so I got her bundled her up while I worked on her scalp.  She watched me with great curiosity.
I got my bits ready in little groups that snipped off the wig & got to work... the color was very close to her  original brown, but just enough difference to add a subtle depth to her hair color.  I used the Pucci Collective wet towel and iron trick, which proved invaluable in smoothing and styling her hair after the highlights were added.

And now she has enough hair to pull a little bit across the gap w/o leaving a bald patch on the top of her head!

I had SO much fun with this project and I was really thrilled to be able to give Charlotte more hair confidence.  The project inspired me to try to replace her eye chips too... but it didn't work.  I was hoping against hope that she got some different glue that all the other Basaak/Blybes out there... but alas - her eyechips aren't going anywhere.  I am getting more okay with that all the time... but I am thinking of repainting her lips in a dark red... similar to the Gentle River red.  I think that might look really nice on her. 

Next up on the big blog catch-up... felt applique dresses!