Monday, December 3, 2012

catch-up... again!

So, I got married! This was a wonderful and bliss-filled event in my life... but it did result in me being quite busy and forgoing everything dolly-related for almost a couple of months... Here and there I knit a few stitches on a hat or redressed my girls and brushed their hair... but mostly, my sweet girls just languished while I attended to all things nuptial.

Since I arrived home from my honeymoon, though, I have been having a wonderful time reconnecting with my girls.  Mostly, I have been knitting hats for them and just hanging out with them... re-organizing their clothes and gearing up for some winter sewing projects.

I have been pining for a new dolly lately.  I really, really, really want a Nostalgic Pop or a Milky Way Sugar girl.  I love long dark brown hair without bangs.  I have been fantasizing about how some of my dress ideas would look on a brown haired girl. I almost even adopted a pre-loved Milky Way Sugar girl... but it didn't work out.  How dreamy they are... especially the translucent face of Miss Nostalgic Pop!
But then something happened - after I gave up on adopting MWS... my name came up on the Button Arcade commission list for two dresses. Woot! And Ott Lites went on sale 50% off at JoAnn's and I got one. So I sort of gave up on getting a new girl.

Bu then just tonight I revisited my poor Callie the mystery clone. She was going to be turned into a skully girl... but spray-painting her faceplate white went badly wrong.   I bought Montana Acrylic spray paint because I thought that Acrylic would be high quality, but I think it turned out to be too thick.  It clumped and behaved badly in a way that I haven't seen other spray paint behave. I was so upset when it happened back in the summer.  I started trying to scrap off some of the paint when it was still tacky and got some off of her face... then I started sanding with a fine sanding sponge, which sort of smoothed out some patches of paint, but didn't remove it.

Fast forward a few months until tonight.  I took to her faceplate with regular fine sand paper, which is like infinitely coarse for Blythe, but it took the paint off straight away!  Then I buffed her faceplate with a Hello Kitty emory board & back to the ultra-fine sanding sponge.  Now she is okay.  Still a bit scuffy - but I ordered three grades of Norton sanding sponges and I plan to get her back in shape & give her a regular face-up and search for a scalp for her... maybe even a dark brunette scalp.  She had a good eye-mech and some pretty eye chips already.  I need to get her a regular Blythe body - I don't like her Obitsu body because it is too big, though I love how those bodies are infinitely pose-able.

Callie will be my first and last ever attempt at customizing.  I really prefer stock Takara girls (or a Kenner, if ever I met one at a thrift store or some other fantastical situation!) to factory, fake, or clones... or even customized.  I just find the pure girls super-charming and appealing.  Maybe an eye-chip change or a teensy bang trim... but basically I just like them purely how they arrive NRFB.

Still, I am happy and excited to be able to work on Callie right now because it quells my yearning for another girl & breathes new life  in to a girl I thought was a goner.