Wednesday, July 11, 2012

"Call it impulsive, call it compulsive, call it insane."

I just bought this mystery clone doll... within 5 minutes of discovering it's existence.  I don't know why - it was a totally impulsive move. I want to make her into a calavera.

I've seen some gorgeous Blythe calaveras - but when it comes to proper Blythes, I can't bring myself to do much to them myself... I really like stock Blythes NRFB when they come to me. Out of curiosity, I bought myself a factory custom who is on her way and I am very excited to meet her... but unless I found one baity to begin with, I could never bring myself to change a real stock Blythe very much... I like them as they come!

Yet, I loved the calavera idea ever since I saw it... I was a calavera last year for one of my 4 nights of Halloween!  It was my first time trying the makeup - I just had a black face-painting pencil left over from a kit of vampire facepaint I used a year before... and a liquid eyeliner for the finer lines... it was hurried - but tons of fun & I got a lot of compliments.  I image searched calaveras and had a wonderful time looking at all the beautiful details.

I've seen a few truly lovely Blythe ones and some that were maybe not so well executed... but a lot of love went into them... I fell for all of them! I don't have an airbrush or anything as skilled & specular as these works of art... but I love to paint and I've thought it would be fun for a long time.

My friend just posted this lovely pictures to my FB recently, wanting to learn more about Blythe, totally rekindling my curiosity for a dolly calavera.
 I had been scoping out factory girls on the Taobao agent pages for a girl who might make a good calavera... the whole agent thing with factory Blythes kind of weirds me out & on ebay I'd rather get a stock Prairie Posey or Very Vicky new in the box for the same price than a factory or fakie girl I am just going to have my crafty way with... and I wanted a black haired girl most of all, but had not seen any factory girls with black hair.

So when I learned about the new clones and took a look & saw a black haired girl for $40 with free shipping who I could play with and not feel guilty... I just went nuts for a moment, threw caution to the wind and bought her!

I  really must be stopped.  In addition to the whole customizing diversion... I really do want to collect some more expensive stock Blythes like NosPop, Pheobe Maybe, and Gentle River. Really I do.  I just keep getting sidetracked.






2 comments:

  1. I bought one of these too for a customizing project I had in mind but now that I've gotten her I just don't have the heart to do anything more than open her up to get rid of her sleep eyes feature (I've never seen one before-my Kenner is the only real Blythe I own but this girl's eyes won't stay open unless you weight her cord, that can't be the right way to do it). I can't wait to see what you do so I've bookmarked your page :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I will be sure to document the process with this girl - looking forward to meeting her & exploring more customizing. :)

    ReplyDelete